Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Fenblog is open for business

Ok folks, welcome to blog land. Before we begin, let's get a few things straight.

1) If you don't like what you see, please just keep it to yourself and go to a different web page or something.

2) If you do like what you see, please let me know by registering with blogger and posting a comment or send me an e-mail!

3) Please feel free to send a link to this blog (http://sfenwick.blogspot.com) to anyone who might be interested.

4) I'll try to keep it clean for the kids and various other loved ones.

5) I'll try to post as many pics as possible, but you may have to go to yahoo! photos to look. don't worry, I'll post a link when the time comes.

6) The opinions expressed herein are not representative of those of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps and should not be interpreted as such. (had to get the disclaimer in there)

Soooo, let's begin shall we? A little housekeeping first.....

e-mail: rsfenwick@yahoo.com

Training address until August 5, 2005:

R.S. Fenwick
Peace Corps/Romania
Str. Negustori, NR. 16
Sector 2, Bucharest
Romania

Address after August, 5, 2005: TBD

Training city: Braşov, Transylvania

Start of Peace Corps service: May 23, 2005
Close of service: July 31, 2007

Packages: For those kind and generous souls who are thinking of sending me a care package (I'm not soliciting. Really, I'm not.), I cannot receive packages until after I'm sworn in as a volunteer and have been assigned to a post (job). I'll be sure to post my post address as soon as I can thereafter.

Phone calls: For those who cannot bear to live without hearing my sweet voice, fear not! I will have a cell phone. When and what the capabilities will be is TBD. However, I can say with confidence that I will be able to make and receive international calls for a decent rate (about 12 cents/minute). Now, for all of you digerati out there (thanks Durkin), you can call me for free via the internet on Skype! My profile name is rsfenwick. Be warned however, I'm a novice at the moment and you may have to schedule a time with me via e-mail beforehand.

Ok, I think that's it for the housekeeping. You're probably wondering if I'm excited? Yes, I am. But I'm more tired than anything. What a process this has been. Very time consuming and stressful. I just want to get on that plane so I can concentrate on the Peace Corps and not a bizillion other things. I've had lists coming out of my arse (see, clean) for many weeks now.

I leave for the Staging event in Philadelphia next Monday the 23rd. I'll be in Philly with my fellow trainees from Romania group 20 (all 67 of them) for a couple days. We'll be boarding a bus on the 25th for JFK International, at which point we'll board a KLM flight bound for Amsterdam. We'll have a brief layover before we head to Bucharest on the same carrier. What will happen then I know not. I'll keep you all posted. I hope that we get to stay in Bucharest for a night so we can rest, see the PC HQ at the embassy and meet the staff. Boarding a bus straight away for Braşov after all that travel is not an appealing prospect. Wouldn't be a bad as Chicago to Perth I think. But, then again, I haven't seen any Romanian roads yet....

That's all for now. Let me know if I forgot anything by posting a comment or sending me an e-mail. Back to moving more furiniture. Bunǎ Zuia.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is great!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Scott!
Can't wait to read updates and see some great pictures from your adventures!

Best Wishes

Joel

Anonymous said...

yo scott, great work on the blog!

no worries about skype! it's an excellent utility that everyone out there should be aware of. phone companies make enough cash, so bring them down by using skype!

while in amsterdam, be sure to visit the grey area coffee shop, it's a very kind place indeed. be sure to eat at the pankcake factory, preferably after a visit to the grey area, or the like. aside from the gluttonous american activities, amsterdam is a beautiful city rich in culture & history, so have a blast before taking over the eastern block.

take care in the meantime. i'll be in touch and keep tabs on your journey.

-dan

Anonymous said...

What a Guy , what a blog.
We all wish you safe passage and the best of luck. Will follow your adventures eagerly.

Bill Dowling