Saturday, July 23, 2005

My response to Dan's questions...

Please refer to the previous post before reading this......

Great to hear from you! Sorry that the blog updates are a bit infrequent. I'll have easier and faster acess to the internet once I get to my site in the second week of August. In fact, when I move into my apartment in October, I'll have a cable internet hook-up. So, the blog updates will be more frequent, I'll be able to post more pics, and you can contact me for free via Skype if you want.

You're right, the gamut of emotions runs quite frequently, especially lately. We've only got three weeks of training left and we're all gearing up to go to our respective sites. I've made a lot of frends in these past two months and it's going to be hard to say goodbye to many of them. We've all grown accustomed to seeing each other almost everyday, training together, partying together, and confiding in one another. August 5th will be a bittersweet day when we get sworn in as volunteers in Bucharest.

How am I feeling? My mental state is extremely fluid. The highs are high and the lows are low. Some days I wake up (like today) feeling discombobulated, lonely and upset and I don't really know why. The language barrier has something to do with it I think. It is tiring to be in a place where you hardly understand what people are saying all of the time. It's even more difficult when you actually have to open your mouth and talk to them. However, don't let me give you the impression that it's always like this. Some days really are quite good.

What do I enjoy the most? The food is great. The beer is cheap. The landscape is stunning. I enjoy having conversations with my gazda family, neighbors, etc.; which can be quite tiring mentally but gives me a great deal of satisfaction. I like Brasov very much. Walking around and taking photos here is quite enjoyable. If you come to Romania, I'll take you there. I think that you'd like it because it's like a little Prague. I also LOVE my gazda mama and dad and will be visiting them quite frequently.

What am I enjoying least? Missing Sarah, Chicago, my friends. Language barrier, pessimistic Romanians, pollution, trash everywhere, chauvenistic & pig-headed Romanian men, hearing about the rampant corruption in all facets of Romanian society, racism, ignorance, Boring PC training sessions designed for people with zero common sense, bad weather, funky smelling maxi-taxis, long lines and the people who cut into them, etc., etc, etc. However, don't let this deter you from wanting to visit. This place will blow your mind out and you will have a great time if you come!

Changing perspectives? I can tell you this: I love America. You don't know what you've got until it's gone my friend. It's the little things man. It's one thing to visit a place like this, but to actually live there is an entirely different issue. Let me say it again. I love America and I can't wait to come back. This experience has solidified my love for my country and my desire to make it a better place. We have all of the tools, we just need some perspective. PC punches you in the face with perspective, then kicks you in the stomach with it for good measure. I don't have the words to explain PC. It's just something one has to experience.

Damn, I miss baseball. I saw all-star game highlights the other day on BBC World and lost it. I said, "Baseball! Omigod, baseball highlights!" It was a bit sad really given that it was just the all-star game. Screw those guys who bombed London. These people will never accomplish anything with violence. As far as the care packages go, I'll have to wait until October. Thanks for the offer and I'll let you know when the time is right!

No comments: