Sunday, January 22, 2006

I'm Cold



But not as cold as I was in this photo. Sarah took this pic when we were in Piatra Neamt and my heat was turned off during winter break for school. We both slept in long underwear and winter hats. Sarah even wore a hooded sweatshirt to bed; with the hood over her hat. It's a lot warmer in the apartment these days, but those two electric heaters you see in the photo still get quite a workout.

It's a snowy, blustery gray Sunday here in Piatra Neamt and I'm gearing up for teaching in the cold tomorrow. Last week they told me that I had to leave my classroom for two weeks (probably more like two months) because a 12th grade class was too cold in their room. Of course, the room they moved me to is an icebox. Now, I'm not saying that my original room was a sauna or anything (I still have to wear a coat in there), but this room is ridiculous. I wear a hat, scarf and coat when I teach now and the desks are cold to the touch. What to do? Not a damn thing except wait for it to warm up. I have zero confidence that the 12th grade class will be out of my room in two weeks. The heating system work that was started in October was supposed to be done "in two weeks" two months ago. There's a word in Romania, "imediat", which is kind of like "soon come" in Jamaica, which means whatever it is that you're waiting for could come shortly, take awhile, or not come at all. Cool.

I'd like to lodge another school-related complaint if I may. I got roped into being a "judge" for the English Olympiad last week. Select kids from 7th through 12th grade took exams and the best will move on to regional competition. I was pegged to grade the 8th grade exam. I did my best to be as objective as possible, but apparently this wasn't good enough. The grades were "too low" and needed to be "adjusted" because we need to "send more kids" to the competition. So, I had to "massage" some grades at the request of the English department head. Nevermind that only 3 of them were any good. And this was after they told me that I should grade hard because they wanted to "only send the best". Was I lost in translation? It sounded like English to me. Whatever. I'm not getting involved in this again. I do not agree with their methodology. One good thing, I guess, is that the judging is blind and they won't know who is who until the seal that contains the name is broken.

I've been recovering from my Sarah hangover since the last post. I'll never get over it really, but things are pretty much back to normal in terms of my mental state. I took me a few days to get re-adjusted to school after being away from the classroom for over a month, but everything is pretty much par for the course right now; except for that icebox, I mean classroom, that I'm teaching in at the moment. We've got two weeks of class left before the end of semester one and then a week break. I'll head to Codlea for the break and then resume classes on February 13th, at which point it will only be four months until school ends for the year and I get to come back home for vacation. How do I push the fast-forward button?

I have two interesting and exciting things to report for the new year. First, Skype has come out with a new version of their software that allows users with webcams to see each other while they talk. I was lucky enough to receive a webcam for Christmas from Sarah's family (thanks again David and Barbara) and am now the beneficiary of this outstanding new technology. Sarah, her brother and her parents have webcams as well and it's such a pleasure to see everyone during conversations. I even convinced my Dad to buy a webcam as well, but am still waiting to see if he can get it to work. If he can't, there's always his young friend A.J. that helps him out with computer issues. Many thanks to A.J.! Let's just say that my Dad, bless his heart, is "technologically challenged". However, he's making an effort and I appreciate that. Much love to you Pops.

Secondly, I have begun the slow process of getting involved in a secondary project here in Piatra Neamt. My site mate, Gabby, is working in a new office created by city hall to assist with E.U. integration and sustainable economic development. Such work is very intriguing to me and I hope that I can contribute. I'd like to work with Gabby in the tourism sector and get some kids from school involved as well. Part of me wishes that I could do work like this full time, but alas, that is not what I signed up for way back when. I'll make sure to keep you all updated as things progress (hopefully).

What's on tap for next semester? Well, George Orwell is coming to Hogas High (or has he already been here....). 10th grade is going to be reading Animal Farm and 11th grade will sink their teeth into one of my personal favorites, 1984. I think that these are two very important books for these kids to read given the fact that they live in a former communist state. It will be very interesting to see what they think of these books and if they can offer any unique insight. 12th grade will read articles and participate in a discussion forum that I am calling "Issues 2006". I haven't actually decided what these specific issues will be yet, but I have a general idea. British Geography and History will become American Geography and History (YESSSS!) and God knows what 9th grade English will be doing. Maybe some grammar games? A newspaper project? I haven't decided quite yet. There's still time yet.

That's about it for now. Gabby and I are going to have pizza tonight with our friend Dragos and show him some episodes of Chappelle's Show. I can't wait to hear what a Romanian has to say about the show. I'll close with a comment for all of you Chappelle fans, "I'M RICH BITCH"!

Waiting for 0 celcius,

Scott

No comments: