Sunday, February 05, 2006

Winter Break!



THIS POST WAS MADE ON TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 7TH.

Hello there. Today's photo was taken near "Lacul Ursu", or Bear Lake, in the resort town of Sovata, located in North Central Transylvania. From left to right we have Oana, her husband Radu, the American, Nicoleta, and Catalin. I decided to accompany my friends on a little weekend getaway and had an interesting time.....

We left Piatra Neamt on Saturday afternoon and drove over the top of the Eastern Carpathians into Harghita County, which is a predominatly Hungarian zone. I had my first taste of Hungarian cuisine here at a little restaurant in the country on our way to Sovata. The Goulash was mmmm good and the main course of hard-boiled eggs, sausage and potatoes with paprika was tasty as well. I also sampled the local brew, "Harghita", and drank some hot tuica. Hot tuica is a whole different experience than room temperature or cold tuica. Let's just say that it "warms you up" a bit faster.

We arrived at our small hotel around 5pm. My room was warm and clean, had a shower, TV, and a bed that made you want to sleep on the floor, and neighbors that liked to party. All for only 10 Euros! We then proceeded to walk to the Hotel Danubius and its famous spa. Lacul Ursu is a thermal salt lake that is about 30 to 40 degrees celcius year-round. It is also know to have certain properties that are beneficial to one's health. Hot springs and lakes such as this one are found all over Romania and the Romanians are convinced of their healing powers. I need a little more convincing. Anyway, the hotel pumps water from the lake into an indoor pool so people can enjoy the warm salt water in a spa setting. There's a sauna, steam shower, regular chlorine pool, massage services, etc.

I had known about such places before I came to Romania. I'd seen photos of people sitting around in thermal pools and doing nothing but that. And that's exactly what I did, sit around in a crowded pool of Romanians. I'd take the occasional sauna and steam shower break, but for the most part I just soaked in the salty warm pool. It wasn't that cool. It would have been much cooler if it was outdoors and there was more room move and stretch out. Also, I could have done without the onslaught of Speedos (know what I mean?). However, I must take into account that Romanians' concept of personal space and feelings about skin display are much different than Americans'. I don't think I'll go back. Although, don't get me wrong, I had a good time with the people I was with and it was something new to experience. I'd much rather do such a thing outdoors. However, there's no getting around the Speedo issue.

The next day we had a barbeque and went to Praid, a town with a giant underground salt cave. Apparently this cave has healing properties as well and is supposed to be quite the tourist attraction. Unfortunately, it was closed. We then proceeded to drive to the city of Targu Mures and went shopping at the Selgros Cash and Carry, a Romanian version of Costco. We don't have anything like this in Piatra Neamt, so it was quite a treat to be able to shop there. I bought some new sheets and some presents for Ica's birthday (next month). We drove home and stopped for some soup and a quick look at Bistrita monastery before arriving in Piatra on Sunday night.

I left for Codlea yesterday at 7am via bus and arrived yesterday around 2:30pm. I think that yesterday's ride was the coldest to date and am glad that I had the long underwear and thermal socks on. The gore-tex boots helped as well. It's just damn cold here. Apparently, Europe is experiencing an unseasonalbly cold winter. Lucky me. I'm wearing three jackets, a hat and a scarf right now. I'm also wearing thermal socks and my feet are still cold. And no, this is not an outdoor internet cafe. I think you get the picture. C'mon spring.......

It feels good to be "home". It had been a month since I'd seen Ica and Victor; the longest period of time since I've been in Romania. They're getting some new furniture delivered tomorrow and I'm looking forward to seeing and sitting on it. I'll be here all week eating and (hopefully) getting work done for school. Must....not....sleep....till....noon....every....day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Scott,
Maybe you should check this place out for your next winter break!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11237255/

The first ice hotel to open in Romania! Sweet!