Monday, March 20, 2006

Now I Think It's Spring



The snow is melting as I write this! Yes folks, I do believe that spring is finally upon us here in Piatra Neamt. It was a balmy 10 degrees celcius (50 fahrenheit) and sunny today. Just a week ago today it was snowing hard, the wind was blowing and it was basically like Siberia around here. Most of the snow should be gone by the time I wake up tomorrow. I just hope that it doesn't return. I'm not counting on it though. Being from Chicago, I'm always geared up for a nice April snow shower or two.

Enough of the weather, yeah? I've provided an "action photo" this time. That's me on the right leading a discussion during my "History Nights" club that I mentioned before. It's a joint project with my friend Ovidiu, a history teacher at the economics high school. We meet every Monday for two hours and watch DVD history lectures that I brought here from the U.S. Each 30 minute lecture is followed by a 10 minute discussion period. We get about 10-12 students per session. It's university-level stuff, so their English has to be fluent and they've got to be smart kids. I've got a lot of them. Once again, I'm lucky.

Not much to report here really. I'm going to Codlea this weekend. Sunday will mark 10 months in Romania (feels good to be in double-digits). Spring break is three weeks from this Thursday. Rapid and Steaua made it to the quarter-finals of the UEFA cup and will have to play each other, which guarantees a spot for a Romanian team in the semi-finals. This is a really big deal now and everyone is talking about it. Game one is next Thursday at Rapid's stadium, followed bay game two the following week at Steaua's stadium. The semi-finalist will be determined by aggregate goals. I bought a Rapid scarf this weekend and am going to wear it to class next Thursday. The kids will get a kick out of that. I'm sure I'll get some boos and hisses as well because Steaua is the more popular team. But, Victor taught his boy to be a Rapid fan this summer, so they're my team. It's similar to my Dad breeding me to be a Bears fan. It's in the blood. Forza Rapid!

That's about it I guess. I must admit that I've been feeling a bit homesick lately. I think it has something to do with the weather. I just seem to be a bit off right now. It's got to be the season changing. Sarah told me that I am very sensitive to this. I'll have to take her word for it because she's the boss. :) Anyway, I'm sure that I'll snap out of this funk soon. A weekend in Codlea should do the trick. I think that I just need to get out of town for a few days. It can get quite claustrophobic here sometimes. And with the weather changing for the better, I've got the urge to get out and go. Just gotta keep ridin' the roller coaster I guess. I got some good advice in an e-mail the other day. Simply put, "keep at it". Well folks, that's just what I intend to do. I hope you feel that your tax dollars are being well spent.......I mean with me of course. :)

Scott

No comments: