Saturday, May 27, 2006

One Year in Romania

Yesterday was my one-year anniversary. Amazing. I haven't left this country for one year. The things I have learned. Hard to believe.

Anyway, they lifted the quarantine on Codlea, so I'm here right now. It's Saturday and the weather is quite nice. By the way, I threw out a hint in the first May blog post about something important. Not sure if you may have caught it. I'm moving to Codlea! PC has granted me a site change. I'll be taking the place of the current volunteer here after she leaves in July. I'll live with Victor and Ica and split my time teaching between a junior high and high school. Life in Romania is about to get a whole lot better. I am very lucky and very thankful.

Life in Piatra Neamt just wasn't pleasant. School was fine, but I am very isolated there. Living in the school got to me. Not being able to live in the community hindered my ability to integrate. I don't know many people there and the ones that I do are very busy and or have decided to leave themselves. I'll be sad to leave some of the students, but my life here is more important than my job. Plus, I'm sure I'll have a nice experience at the schools here in Codlea. Bottom line is that I wasn't going to last too much longer in Piatra Neamt and PC knew this. I thank them for giving me "new life".

So, as of right now there are three weeks left at school and five weeks until I come home for vacation. Sarah's old roommate Kristen is coming to Romania next week. I'll pick her up in Bucharest on Friday and take her to Codlea. We'll go to Brasov on Saturday and then head up to Piatra on Sunday afternoon. She's going to be able to experience a lot here in a very short period of time. I'm excited that I'll have a visitor soon! I enjoy playing interpreter and tour guide.

I'll post some new photos next time. Can't do it here at the internet cafe. I'm trying to think of something else to say, but I'm drawing a blank. I feel like my blog was more interesting in the past. Anyway, I'll see what I can do to spice it up a little. Bye!

1 comment:

Chris Bennett said...

Congrats! I hope to be placed in at least decent place.