Thursday, June 15, 2006

Year One - Mission Accomplished



You know, teaching generally is a thankless job. As a PC Volunteer and first-time teacher it's especially hard to measure whether you've done your job or not. I've had moments where I've thought, "Yeah, good job on that one", but for the most part you don't really know. You just have to have faith that one day some of these kids will remember you and think, "Oh yeah, I remember that the American taught me this, that, etc.". I think that you get the picture.

The process of leaving Hogas High hasn't been easy. Yesterday I kept asking myself if I had succeeded, dealing with bouts of uncertainty and wondering if it was all worth it. Well, today I got my validation. The class pictured above, 10D (11D after tomorrow) gave me a letter today. It reads:


The 13th of June, 2006
Piatra Neamt

Dear Scott,

In these moments a good letter beginning is not enough, but we want to show you, by this letter, that this year we learned a lot from you. Many times, as teenagers, we wanted to have a teacher like you. Someone with who we could talk to not only about school, but also about our "problematic" life and about our position in Romania. You made us understand that above all we learn at Hogas, we have the power to change the future - by will and by voluntary actions.

You see, we're telling you this because we're really sorry you have to leave. If there's one thing we won't forget about our classes together, it's your understanding. Because, as you know, many of our teachers sometimes ask too much from us (no wonder some of them are envious that we like your method better). We are glad to have met you and we're not saying this only because it was the first year that an American teacher taught us, but because we had a great experience.

We honestly regret not having the opportunity to spend more time with you but, as you say, we must always look ahead; although, we won't forget you and we hope we can stay in touch and inform you about our new "ways" in school and to keep in mind both old and new advices.

If we've ever upset you, please accept our apologies, as we never intended to . We also hope that you will remember all the times we were insecure, but also the moments when we started to talk, sometimes for more than an hour!

There are many other things that need to be said, but, unfortunately, we must end this letter. You know, sometimes silence is worth more than anything, if there are true feelings hidden behind it.

If sometimes you will see clouds that seem to be pointing at you from the sky, they're us, traveling by thought, searching for guidance.

Thoughts,
Class 10D


I'm sorry that I have to leave too. But I do. There's a saying, "Each One, Teach One". I've always believed in this concept, thinking that if we all could just teach and reach one person, the world would be a better place. I can now say that I truly have done my part. Even though I'm leaving this school prematurely, I can hold my head high. And I've still got another year and a whole new set of kids in Codlea to teach. Whatever happens next, I'll never forget these kids, class 10D.

Bye for now.

Scott

3 comments:

maria melcverde said...

nope, Irine and I won't miss you being our teacher, nooo way, we'll be juuuust fine, dealing w/ moster-teachers by ourselves. can we move to a "codlean" school? ( :

Anonymous said...

maybe if you would have talked to us more about this....really sorry you felt isolated.could have been different.anyway feelings are feelings.keep in touch.and don't worry about not having a beneficial influence on us because you really did

Jaded Compass said...

Good job on finishing a year!!! One down, one to go! I know a lot of peeps that had to change sites felt re-integrating again was difficult but i'm sure you'll manage well. I wish i could come and visit but I have no money! arghghghghghghghghgghhg. Oh well. Such is life.