Monday, February 19, 2007

Iron Curtain Autos

Inspired by our friend the One Man Invasion's recent blog post "Death for Dacia", I decided to dedicate this post to all of the wonderful communist cars I've seen during my travels, both inside and outside of Romania. While trips in the near future will no doubt yield plenty more shots of these mean machines, I figured I'd give you a look at some pre-1989 rides from the Eastern bloc. After reading the Invasion's post, it seems to me that the E.U. may put a damper on one of my dreams.

You see, I have a vision to one day create a television program that would be the equivalent of MTV's "Pimp My Ride", but by only using automobiles produced in former communist European nations during the cold war era. Anything made before 1948 and after 1989 is a no go. East Germans would go crazy for Trabants with hydraulics. Czechs couldn't resist an old dropped down Skoda with ground effects. The Russians would be inspired to trick out their Ladas. And, of course, how could any Romanian resist the temptation to Pimp Their Dacia? Imagine the possibilities. Central and Eastern European Television producers, just call me.


A late 1960's Dacia 1100. You don't see too many of these babies around so much anymore.
A gem to be treasured.


An early 1970's Russian Lada. I prefer them in Racing Yellow myself.


A GAZ-24 Volga from Russia. This sexy thang was workin' the streets of Solotvyna, Ukraine when I spotted her. Check out that rear hubcap.


A late 80's Dacia 1410. On fire I say. On fire. Steel roof rack optional.


One of my favorites. The Trabant sedan from East Germany. The DDR had it goin' on back when these cuties were rolling the streets.
I want one.


A very classy Skoda from the former Czechoslovakia. Skoda is still around and they make quality autos for the European market.
I prefer this blue beauty myself though.


An Aro 4x4 from Romania. Most Aros are big 4-door models and are much bigger than this one. You don't see too many of these 2-doors on the streets.


An early 80's Dacia 1300. Loyal readers have seen this honey before.
Bringin' Sexy Back.


My first ride in a Dacia was in this very car. Victor's old 1984 Dacia 1310. "Auto Turism" at its finest. One for the ages. Please excuse me, I think I'm getting verclempt...


Another Trabant, this time in the family station wagon version. You just had better hope that your family's not so big. I see her everyday on my way to school. You can call her "Trabi".


Last, but surely not least, another vehicle on Romania's
"Endangered Vehices" list.
Mama Caruta. Her days are certainly numbered.


1 comment:

SMangat said...

it's like a beauty pageant with, of course, the caruta winning

if only we could drive cars in this country, i would def get one of the cars featured in this post