Saturday, November 26, 2005

6 months down, 19 to go



FYI - THIS POST WAS MADE ON SUNDAY, DECEMBER 4TH!

So I just ate what you’re seeing here. Ohhh, the food coma is coming on strong right about now, but I’m going to tough it out and give you this long overdue blog update. I’m writing this on the cpu and will cut and paste it when I get home. Yes, I know, it’s been waaay too long since the last post, and I really don’t have a good excuse. So, loyal readers, scuzati-ma va rog.

What we have here is, arguably, the ultimate in Romanian cuisine. Sarmale (the cabbage rolls stuffed with pork and rice), Mamaliga (the yellow corn meal), chifteluta (a sort of meatball), and some pickled tomatoes and cauliflower. Add to that some palinka (the shot glass) and some Tuborg Christmas Beer and you’ve got yourself one hell of a meal. And to top it all off, it was prepared by, in my humble opinion, the number one chef in Romania, Mama Ica.

I believe I left off last time when I was in Codlea. Well, I’m here again and I’ll get you caught up on the past two weeks. Unfortunately, I must begin with some bad news. My camera was stolen at the bus station on my way back to Piatra Neamt. I have no idea how it happened and I didn’t feel a thing. It was only about three minutes from the time I got out of Victor’s car to the time I entered the bus. Unbelievable. These thieves here are very good at what they do. However, it was my fault. I was in a hurry, and wasn’t paying attention to what was going on around me. That made me an automatic mark. I had the camera bag attached to my backpack and thus it was out of my sight. After about 2 hours on the bus, I moved my backpack and noticed that my camera bag was open. They unzipped the bag and took the camera without me noticing. I still can’t believe it happened and am in awe of their skill. So, I learned my lesson and bought a new camera. Asta e viata (that’s life). Although it’s nowhere near the quality of my old one, it will do the job.

Thanksgiving came and went. I decided not to travel, as I had been “on the road” the past 3 weeks. Gabby and I made dinner on T-giving, drank some wine and watched a DVD (thanks Roz). It was low-key and ok. I spent the remainder of the weekend catching up on schoolwork and talking to people on Skype. My six month anniversary here came and went as well. Hard to believe.

The teachers’ strike finally ended here in Romania last week. I think that I was the only volunteer that didn’t have at least one day off due to the strike. I’ll find out for sure this week when I go to Sibiu for the In Service Training Conference. I think the teachers got an 11 or 12 percent salary increase and got paid for the time they were striking. The bad thing, at least for volunteers, is that the schools have to find a way to make up for lost time. I think some people are either going to be working longer hours during the week or will be working on Saturdays (ouch). In retrospect, I lucked out because my program was not disrupted and my colleagues at least got something out of the deal. However, settlement is only temporary at best. Romania’s education system is in serious need of reform in all areas and I can’t imagine that things are going to get better any time soon. Sorry for the gloomy outlook, but it’s going to take a couple of generations to rid this system of its old commie ways. All theory and no practice makes for an unproductive workforce. Trust me. Even my students know this. They’re fed up with the system.

Last Wednesday, I went to a Rotary event in Piatra. They put on a benefit concert to raise money for a music school for kids in some village in Neamt county. The performers were all kids and they put on a great show. The solo piano performances were particularly good, as these kids exhibited great skill. Classical, Jazz, some ragtime, it was excellent. I went with a couple of my students so they could introduce me to the head of Rotary in Piatra Neamt. I’m going to try to start a Rotary Interact club at school. It’s a good way to get the students involved in volunteer projects and hopefully give some of them an opportunity to apply for scholarships. Many of them want to go to university in the States. We’ll see what happens. Thanks to Sarah’s dad, David, for giving me the idea.

Ica and Victor finished remodeling the front bedroom before I arrived last Thursday. They put in a beautiful fireplace and parquet floor. Ica really wanted to get the room finished before Sarah comes. I really appreciate that. We’re all going to have a great time. It’s so nice to sit in the room and relax and read with a nice fire going. Good stuff. Thanks to their daughter Delia for making it all possible.

I’ve got three days of school this week and will head to Sibiu on Thursday morning. I’m estimating a 7 hour bus ride (depending on the weather). I’ll be in Sibiu for a week with my fellow Group 20ers and we’ll have language and technical training seminars all week. I’m sure there will be plenty of partying going on, as this will be a reunion of sorts. It will be four months since we were all together the last time. I’m really looking forward to seeing everybody, including the staff and language teachers. Sibiu is an old Saxon city with a heavy German influence and will be the cultural capital of Europe in 2007. It will also be the EU administrative center once Romania accedes in a couple of years. I’ve always wanted to visit this city and should have ample opportunity to check it out.

After Sibiu I’ll travel to Codlea for the weekend on my way back to Piatra. Then, four days of school and back to Codlea for Christmas! I’ll be sure to document my Romanian Christmas thoroughly for the benefit of you loyal blog readers, ok? So, that’s the agenda as of right now. I hope that this blog post finds you all in good health and spirits. I also hope that you are all looking forward to Christmas as much as I am. Until next time, Sanatate si Numai Bine.

Scott

No comments: