Friday, November 04, 2005

Cold Feet

Words of wisdom for those traveling by bus this time of year in Romania...bring warm socks. I hopped on the bus yesterday at the autogara in Piatra around 1pm for the trip to Brasov. Normally, one would think that if air blows from the floor it would be warm air, right? Also, one would also assume that if the bus was incapable of providing its passengers with heat, there would be no blowing of air at all, just closed vents, right? Wrong folks. This is Romania and the curent can come at you just when you least expect it. "Moldotours" from Targu Neamt provided me with a constant stream of cold air up my left pant leg for 6 hours last night. I can bet you that this bus was running long before Nadia Comaneci won the gold medal in '76. Thank you Moldotours! Luckily, the bus that I will take back to Piatra on Sunday is a lot newer, is quite nice and has heat. Ironically, this company, Patru Trans Plus, charges 100,000 lei less than Transmoldavia for the trip. I don't get it. Really, I don't.

So, I'm back in Codlea for the weekend. Ica and I are going to make a batch of zacusca and I hope to write down some more recipies as well. I made a Romanian omelette this morning with ardei (light green peppers), ciuperci (mushrooms) and fresh telemea cheese. Toast with homemade boysenberry jam was scarfed down as well. Yum. I hope that there will be some mici in my future as well. I'm going to try to get some school work done today and hope to just read and relax for the rest of my time here. I'm not sure if I'll be able to come back again this month, as Ica and Victor will be having a soba (wood burning fireplace/heater) installed in my bedroom. They are also putting in a parquet floor. This should take at least two weeks. Also, Ica will be in Paris the following week with her daughter Delia. So, I might just have to wait until December 1, as I'll have a long weekend due to a holiday.

That's about it for now. La revedere.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Scott! It's so good to read about your experiences in Codlea, Piatra Neamt and all the other Romanian places you've been. I think of you often, though I'm a terrible commincator...perhaps I have what it takes to be an administrator at your school then?

After my all too short time in Moscow and St. Petersburg this May, I am eager to visit you, as well as travel more extensively in Eastern Europe and Central Asia. The effects of Soviet occupation are compelling and somehow magnetic to me. So much to learn. Keep up your good work and I'm glad to read that you're feeling more settled and at ease in your Moldavian solace.

You are loved. ~dki