Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Catching up

Whew! I'm busy. I still haven't found enough time to write about my travels this summer. Soon enough. I got back from Germany last Saturday and now I'm off to the Black Sea coast for a PC conference next week. I'll take a night train late Sunday and arrive in the city of Mangalia around 8am. I'll be so close to Bulgaria (less than 15 miles). I wish I could go. Oh well, I hope to get there eventually. Anyway, my country director asked me to write a welcome letter for the 2 new groups of volunteers that will be arriving here in 2007. It will be included, amongst others, in the "Welcome Book" that all accepted applicants receive before they report to the staging event and depart for Romania. I'm glad to have the opportunity to write such a letter. Here it is:

This is an exciting time to be a PC Volunteer in Romania! Welcome! At this point you're probably wondering what material items to bring. Follow the suggestions in this book and you'll be just fine (especially if you bring a laptop). More important than material things however are patience and open-mindedness. These essential "items" will help you to be a successful and HAPPY volunteer.

Your eyes (and ears) can deceive you here in Romania. On the surface, many things will seem familiar to you. Most people under the age of 30 will want to and be able to speak English with you. You may have cable TV and high-speed internet in your apartment. Your host family may own a new European import car. Many people will dress like you. You'll ride on a modern train from time to time. On occasion, you may even have pizza delivered to your place. However, as volunteers, most of our challenges here exist below the surface. During your staging event, the PC staff will introduce to you the "Iceberg" concept. Pay close attention to this. The cultural differences between Romania and the U.S. are vast.

As I write this letter, Romania is poised to become a full-fledged member of the European Union. However, less than 20 years ago this country was enduring its fifth decade of one of the most oppressive communist dictatorships that has ever existed. Before that, Romania was mostly a land of rural peasants to whom democracy was a foreign concept. This is a society in transition.

In my opinion, our biggest challenge as PC volunteers here in Romania is to not let the cultural impediments that exist because of the past prevent us from doing our job, which is to help the Romanian people build a better future. It's not easy, but hey, it's the PC. I encourage you to learn as much as you possibly can about Romania's history and culture both before and during your service. Read, talk to Romanians, travel, etc. These things, combined with a concerted effort to learn the Romanian language, will undoubtedly help you to assimilate and have both a pleasant and productive life here in Romania.

Challenges aside, Romania is a country rich in cultural and geographical diversity. Mountains, beaches, medieval towns and castles, Roman ruins, festivals all year round; Romania is a major European tourist destination just waiting to happen! You're going to have a lot of fun here, I guarantee it. Oh yeah, and did I mention all of the great friends you're going to make here, both fellow volunteers and host country nationals? You're going to get so much out of this experience, both personally and professionally. I wish you all the best! Noroc!

Scott Fenwick
TEFL, Group 20

No comments: