Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Cool Hats




If you come to Romania, you too can model fabulous hats! First, we have yours truly modeling what I like to call the "Hungarian Cone", which is featured prominently in Harghita County (the site of the photo) and other predominatly Hungarian areas in Romania. Next, we have Gabby (my site mate) featuring the "Romanian Hunter", a fine cap made from pure animal skin, au natural. These photos were taken a few weeks back when I went on a trip with Gabby's organization to Lacu Rosu (Red Lake) and the Bicaz Gorges, two of Romania's natural tourist attractions and located in a national park. Cool.

Anyway, today is Tuesday and I still haven't done much as far as school is concerned. This system is soooo different than the American system. We've got 5 days to go before the first day and the friggin' schedules aren't even set yet. With the exception of two brand new English teachers, Oana and Brindusa, nobody talks to me or gives me any advice. At this point, the only thing the three of us have done is bitch and moan about the current situation and how there's only one friendly veteran English teacher. My counterpart is always too busy for me, so I guess this is just going to be the way it is. I'm going to do my thing and I hope they approve. If not, then they better actually COMMUNICATE with me. Don't get me wrong, most of the young people are pretty open; it's the older generation that's been conditioned not to talk too much.

Sooo, since nothing is happening here this week and everyone who CAN help me either doesn't talk to me or doesn't have time for me, I'm going to go to see Victor & Ica in Vatra Dornei on Thursday night and do some monastery hopping. A little vacation for me before classes start on Monday. I'm not worried about it too much because the first week's going to be a wash. And maybe the second, third, fourth.....

More pics to come now that I'm all hooked up here in the apt.

Salut,
Mr. Flexible

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Scott, we love the hat Gabby is wearing and would like a couple of those - remember where and we'll go get them next summer. We'll take a pass on yours (the Mexican/Romanian/Hungarian model) although it would be good for the valley of the sun! Love, Dad & Mindy

Anonymous said...

Hi Scott!
I am LOL! I am having a great time reading about your experiences in Romania, since many of those experiences are well known to me.
Like any other creature, I got used with good things easily and I forgot how it is to deal with "different" scenarios. Example: I am able to read the syllabus of my classes MANY days in advance... I can choose into which class to enroll, I can lookup online for faculty evaluation and choose the prof. I like, with the syllabus I like, etc... oh, is it because I am paying a LOT for tuition, hence professors are getting reasonable salaries, hence there is a teaching quality that comes out of an efficient teaching system (economically efficient!)...? But my background was well-shaped in the past by the teaching system you come to know in these days (and many more days it will take you to understand it:))... and I did not have problems in adjusting to this system...
I am tempted to jump easily to the conclusion that, on average, the same quality is provided on both sides of the ocean... and still there is a huge difference... I have no precise idea of what's the root of this difference, but I can guess it has to do something with "the next step"... what's the next step after putting yourself through school in Romania vs US? Is the answer the same in both countries... do not think so... ok, I wrote too much for today... Have a great day!!!