Monday, September 12, 2005

Monastery Marathon!



Nice pic huh? That's inside of Secu Monastery near Targu Neamt. I went on a little vacation this weekend with Victor and Ica. It turned out to be more than I bargained for. We started a monastery tour at 7am and didn't get back until 9pm. At least 9 of those 14 hours were spent riding around in a little micro bus with a drunk tour guide (he wasn't driving, he was on the mic) and 17 Romanians. 6 or 7 Monasteries were visited. I'm not sure of the exact number because I was about done after the 3rd one. I slept in the grass outside of number 5 or 6 because I just couldn't take it anymore. The ride was bumpy, the conversation was loud and in Romanian and, for those of you who've been reading the blog since summer, the dreaded "curent" was in full effect.

At about 4pm, after sweating my ass off inside of this bus all day, I finally announced (in Romanian) that the curent is not true, just like Dracula. As a result, the bunica in front of me cracked her window a bit for me so I could get a whiff of fresh air. Immediately thereafter, the woman sitting next to her proceeded to wrap her sweater around her head. It was 80 degrees outside. This curent thing is out of control. 15 minutes later I saw a woman walking down the street with a scarf and wool hat on her head. Crazy.

So, today was the first day of school and my first classes are tomorrow. Wish me luck.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good luck on your first day of class! I'll be thinking of ya.
Carrie