Wednesday, September 28, 2005

The Double Whammy / Back to Codlea



That's right folks, yours truly is a millionaire - a million lei that is. Right now a million lei is about 35 bucks. It sure is some snazzy currency isn't it? It's similar to Australia's money in that it is synthetic, waterproof and has a little clear window in it. The moustachioed fellow adorning the bill is Mr. Ion luca Caragiale, a prized writer and the pioneer of satiric comedy here in Romania. He's big.

Anyway, my "friend" the math teacher and schedule maker has finally done it. He gave me the double whammy - British History and British Geography at 7am on Tuesdays and Thursdays, respectively. Multumesc domnule. Geo is tomorrow. I'm going to have to do a dance or something to get these kids going at 7. If anyone has any suggestions on how I can incorporate dance into a geography lesson I'd love to hear from you.

Today was weird. I woke up with my head in a haze (maybe it was that double shot of Tuica I had before bed?) and I felt like a zombie all day. As I walked down the street towards the library for Romanian language tutoring, the sound of some pseudo-pop-traditional-I don't know what the hell kind of music became louder and louder. Wondering where it was coming from, I looked across the street and saw a table set up with a big speaker and a few people sitting there. There were posters everywhere and the guy on the mike was enticing people to come buy a CD and get an autograph from the artist, who was sitting at the table trying his best to look Euro-cool (yes, this is a look). Turns out he is some old, washed up pop star (I talked to my tutor). Makes sense because he was hawking his CDs on a street corner in Piatra Neamt. Only in Romania.

After tutoring I walked down to the bus station to get my ticket for tomorrow's trip to Codlea and saw one of my students. I spoke to him briefly (in English) as we crossed the street then parted ways. Next thing I know this smiling drunk guy in a suit is trying to speak to me in English and insists on shaking my hand, a lot. All he could get out was "Hello" so I started speaking Romanian to him. This definitely threw him for a loop as he could hardly speak (Romanian). Could have been because he was piss drunk, but anyway....He starts to tell me that he's a lawyer and whips out his official Romanian lawyer ID book (yes, such a thing exists) and starts asking me if I need help getting home to America (he's a lawyer, so he does things like this all of the time right?). I then explained who I was and what I was doing here and he was, again, flabbergasted (and wasted). I smiled, wrenched my hand away from him and walked briskly away to get my ticket. Only in Romania.

So it's back to Sweet Home Codlea tomorrow for some good times and good food. A welcome respite from the daily grind and lonely feelings here in Moldova.

No comments: